- “if they could be bottled you would have……..the best medicine in the world“
© Worcester Shotokan Karate Club 2014
The key benefits of learning karate are ~
- Karate is fun to learn.
- Improved health, fitness, strength, mobility and flexibility.
- Weight loss / weight control.
- Life stress reduction and control.
- Life structure and focus.
- Etiquette and self discipline.
Shotokan Karate offers mental stimulation and challenges in addition to physical challenges, putting it way above any other fitness regime i.e. pushing weights or running at the gym, to increase your fitness or lose weight. Shotokan Karate is a form of fitness training that can be practiced throughout one’s entire life.
Karateka (students of karate) who study diligently will discover that in the long term, principles required for successful progress in the art of Shotokan, translate equally to daily life outside of the dojo.
Gichin Funakoshi the founder of Shotokan was, as a very frail and sick child, encouraged to study the precursors of Shotokan karate to improve his health.
As a testament to Shotokan karate’s health benefits he never again had to consult a doctor, take medicines, pills or injections. Funakoshi trained daily until his death in 1957 aged eighty-eight.